This entry is about how one of my new friends inspired me to write this blog.
I met with Halie on a Friday night at an Arby’s on Benson and 43rd. Halie is a wonderful woman with an incredible story to tell of the physical trials that she suffered on account of her terrible back pain and diseases. (When I get the chance, I will find her blog and then cite it here so you can read firsthand how cool this chick is). Halie and I have been going to the same bible study for a hot minute now and every time we’re together we seem to have a blast (despite the fact that I am 5 years her senior- but who’s really counting?).
After we had ordered our food and taken a moment to scope out the best seats in the house we sat down with our meal. When we finished praying for our food to be nourished to our bodies (that's right, our God is so powerful He can pull nutrients from Arby’s) we sat down and began to discuss our deepest goals and desires. Our most frightening needs and experiences and other very deep, deep, sentimental thoughts stored in the inmost confines of our hearts. But I’m not going to tell you about those (a lady never talks and tells. But she tells while she’s talking. Because that’s what talking is. Though what you talk about is very telling. Allow me to continue my tale) I am going to tell you a little about her health issues. It was all very detailed and I am not confident I can regurgitate it accurately, but I can sure try. And more importantly, I can assist you in understanding how that conversation was relevant to why I started this thing.
She began by talking about a curve in her spine. It is apparently like scoliosis but is actually its own distinct curvature. It is very hard and painful to correct, but it can be done (again, this is where I would put the URL for her blog). Halie concluded her story about all the surgeries she’s had, all the medications she’s been on, all the fights she’s had with doctors, all of the above- she concluded by proudly stating that she is working on blogging it now so that people can see exactly what she went through. And in understanding what she went through, see exactly how awesome and amazing our awesome and amazing God was through the entire process. (That’s one thing I like about Halie. Every word I’ve heard her speak is to the glory of God).
For the small amount of time I have known her, I’ve known that she too holds a passion for writing.
I don’t remember many details about this night, but I do remember my train of thought as Halie spoke about how she was going to use her writing to start a blog so that everyone can know how cool God is.
I remember feeling extremely happy for her, but oddly saddened. I really enjoy writing and I've wanted to start a blog for a while now. However, I feel like I have nothing to write about. For you see, I have a very typical history and a traditional upbringing. I am Kathy America. I have had my trials and my tribulations. I’ve had my heart broken and I’ve lost very dear friends. But I did not really feel like I had any original thoughts to write about. I felt like I had nothing unique to bring to the table (laptop). And as ridiculous as it sounds, the entire time Halie spoke about her back problems, I was trying to conjure a health problem for myself- maybe I could find something to write about. She explained to me the curves in her spine, the degrees, the this and the that and do you know my response? I literally started to convince myself that my back hurt more and more as she talked. And it probably did, because I have back problems as well. But for me to complain about my back problems to Halie would be comparable to someone who broke a nail complaining to an amputee about their frustrations in living with incomplete body parts.
I was racking my brain. I could not think of anything to write about. All my wounds have since scabbed over. I have dealt with what I have been given and I am in a pretty good place. I could not think of anything original to spin off with. I have no health issues or diseases that people would want to read about. In fact, the only disease I may have is hypochondria, which is born of plagiarism. And while I honestly know I Romans 12:15’d this dinner I thought for days about what inspirational literature I may have to contribute to the world.
A few days passed and nothing.
A few more days passed and I forgot about my desire to write.
Then, one not so very special day (when I was ovulating like a son of a gun) I remembered a fact about myself.
I’m a virgin.
***GASP*** We do exist! I know that it’s pretty rare. (I know it’s probably not as rare as I think it is). But sometimes I feel like I am the only virgin left in America. At least in my age group. Sometimes, when people talk about their “dry spells” and how they haven’t had sex in days, weeks, or God forbid even months; I want to punch them in the face and say, “A flippin’ quarter of a flippin’ century.” and then walk away triumphantly. But then I don’t. Because my anger and haste would be a reminder of how desperately I need to get laid.
So if I recognize that this much is true- why on God’s green earth do I abstain from *intercoursing? It’s a decision that up until recently, I sort of felt was made for me. For you see, I am a **Christian and that entails abstaining from sex until you’re married. And once you’re married, having sex with only the person you’re married to.
Recently, I’ve been out in the big, bad world. And I am not going to lie to you. I am very curious, and there are certainly days where I feel like I would be more susceptible to partaking in certain activities than I would be other days. But, there has been one fact hanging over my head since I joined a small group led by a wonderful couple in my home town church. “Sex before marriage is wrong”.
I was more enthused to agree with this statement before I was 25 with no prospects.
While living in the suburbs of Seattle I have managed to meet a handful of men. Some more appealing than others-but will you not drink warm water when you’ve been in a desert for days? And because I do not meet people with the intentions of sleeping with them, it’s hard to say if the opportunity to sleep with any of them would have even been broached. But I believe that it would definitely have been a possibility had I met them under different pretenses. What I’m trying to say, in a round-about way, is that it was always ingrained in my skull that I am to abstain from such behaviors until I am in a committed, marriage relationship. Lately I have been challenged through many different friendships, personal struggles, and conversations regarding my choices and I have chosen to revisit this decision. Not with the intentions of changing my mind- but to truly look at why this is my decision; and why it is a good one. My intentions are neither to sway people nor to infuriate (although this is usually inevitable), but to be able to experience for myself the logical and biblical thought process for making this decision in such a sex driven world. Now I you’ll excuse me, I have some thinking to do.
Stay tuned…
*Verbiage taken straight from 30 Rock
**Christian= Believes Jesus is God. Period. There's more actually, but the jist of it is that God came to earth as a person and died for us and instead of us that God's wrath be satisfied and we might come to know Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment